- Uma Casa Portuguese restaurant opens and critics love it [SF Eater]
- Uma Casa also makes 7x7s most anticipated new restaurant list [7x7]
- Dorian D. Clair’s amazing clock shop is nearing it’s 30th anniversary [Marin IJ]
- HIV/AIDS activist Jeff Sheehy replaces Scott Wiener as supervisor [Scott Wiener]
- ICYMI: Fattoush is becoming Sasa’s Pizza [NVSF]
- We're not sure what’s happening here at 1050 Noe St. [jimwatkins]
- Whole Foods is cleaned out for Stormageddon [@NoeValleySF]
January 8, 2017
January 3, 2017
A new development in the drawn out saga of Fattoush, closed due to fire for over a year. Neighbors have noticed intermittent work behind the papered-over windows over the last couple months. Apparently someone complained to the DBI, which prompted a new permit application filed on 12/29/16 to "ADD WOOD BURNING PIZZA OVEN TO EXISTING RESTAURANT SPACE FOR NEW TENANT." Another permit filed on 11/30/16 indicates that the business will be called Sasa's Pizza.
And that's all we can find so far. Anyone have more information? Are you reading this, Sasa's Pizza? Please contact us.
That is unless you're behind these pizzas. We really don't want know more.
January 1, 2017
Noe Valley Is Officially a Foodie Mecca
2015 was a good year for food in Noe Valley, but 2016 was better. Uma Casa is close to opening on Church St. Barron’s Meats announced it’s also coming to Church St. to replace Drewe’s. Le Zinc closed but a new French bistro, Le Marius, sprang up in its place. La PanotiQ finally opened. Hahn’s Hibachi was replaced with BistroSF. Hamlet SF rebooted with a new menu. Hamano was bought by a local A-list sushi chef who plans to turn it into something even more special. And all that in addition to the already fantastic restaurants in our hood including Saru, Firefly, La Ciccia, Aster, Al’s Place and Contigo. Think about it: We can walk to some of the best restaurants in San Francisco!
Let’s not sugarcoat this: Noe Valley mourned the national election results this year. One man in the house at the top of Sanchez hill was so shell-shocked he woke up the next day and decided to fly the Nazi flag (which begs the question, why did he just have one lying around?). Fortunately, his neighbors weren’t having it. Fasten your seatbelts folks, 2017 is going to be a bumpy ride.
The Town Square Has Arrived
In happier news, after much fund-raising and handwringing, Noe Valley has an open space for the Farmer’s Market and local gatherings. It’s real, it’s ours, and it’s only going to get better as we all imagine new things that can happen there.
It’s Still Really, Really, Really Expensive to Live Here
There’s a reason you see so many Teslas here: Two Noe Valley zip codes (94114 and 94131) are in the Top 100 Most Expensive zip codes in the US. The average cost of a home in Noe Valley was well north of $2.5 million – and here’s what $1.85 million gets you. [Photo via Janeep]
Real Foods? Real Nothing
Still blight. Still empty. So sad.
In 2016 we also said goodbye to some old Noe Valley places, including In-House, Walkershaw and See Jane Run, several of which have since been replaced by little boutiques. Union Street, here we come!
Want to see how far we've come? Here were the top stories of 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.
Did we miss anything? Share it in the comments!
[Top photo via kellyhafer, bottom photo via alexlgoldman]
December 18, 2016
- Former Saison sushi chef goes back to his roots and buys Hamano (yay!) [Eater]
- Spotted in the Whole Foods parking lot [jboitnott]
- Chez Marius is open for lunch and dinner in the former Le Zinc space [Hoodline]
- “Noe Valley where no affordable housing projects ever get built” [Beyond Chron]
- Prancer spotted on 24th St [itshildap]
- Holiday lights [jezolo]
December 10, 2016
The latest news from, about and for Noe Valley from around the interwebs:
- Baron’s Meats is taking over the old Drewe’s Meats space, opening in Feb (yay!) [@OmnivoreBooks]
- Phase 1: Open the shop Phase 2: Sandwiches Phase 3: Craft beer and wine (double yay!) [@BarronsonChurch]
- Uma Casa Portuguese restaurant opening very soon [Hoodline]
- The disappearance of SF’s middle class illustrated with maps [Nick Conway]
- Noe Valley residents evacuated after a gas main break near Noe and Hill Streets [Examiner]
- Coming soon to Whole Foods Noe Valley? [@newmike]
- Long time resident blogs about his favorites spots in Noe [DanielWPolk]
- Does your tap water taste weird? Here’s why [Hoodline]
- Worse than Santacon: Man in Santa hat caught on video burglarizing Noe Valley home [NBC]
- Changes at Le Zinc which will become a new bistro called Chez Marius [@rosewinegirl, Tablehopper]
- James Lick playground is a Christmas tree lot again [bibi_guansen]
- Tom and Jerry’s giant Christmas display is up ("All-American xmas, installed by Mexican workers") [ladiani]
- Did you feel the earthquake? [@iveyjannnette_207]
- We live here [joeychanrealtor]
- Noe Valley’s painted ladies [emdnyc]
December 3, 2016
The Noe Valley Voice is published ten times a year and has been a neighborhood fixture since 1977. Here are notable highlights from the latest issue. Links are to stories we've covered here on NVSF or other resources. Follow the NVV link at the bottom for full articles and all the ads.
December / January 2016
Front Page: A roundup of meal delivery services like Caviar, Sprig and Franny's Kitchen; a profile of retired local Kaiser doc Dr. Don Barole, co-medical director of Homeless Connect; the controversial Noe Courts makeover should be done in Jan/Feb.
Letters: Fan mail from a church St. resident who has been reading the Noe Valley Voice since it's first issue (May 1977); a call for tutors for James Lick Middle School; a Noe St resident who urges neighbors to consider giving disaster preparedness gifts (flashlights, emergency kits, NERT training) for the holidays.
Cost of Living in Noe: Three luxury home sales in Oct bumped the average price for a Noe home back up to $2.7 million - the most expensive of which sold for $4.3 million.
Features: A local teen disappointed by this year's election results is selling art to benefit Planned Parenthood.
[The Noe Valley Voice]
November 26, 2016
- Noe Valley getting decked for the holidays [sarahwoehler]
- Found art [@holdn2aces]
- Crossing the chasm at Noe Valley Bakery [chrissaulx]
- More signs of the real estate market cooling [Socketsite]
- Noe Valley man attacked after inviting stranger into his home [KTVU]
- Contemplating a Trump presidency in Noe Valley [SF Examiner]
- More found art built from Noe Valley remodel detritus [SF Gate]
November 12, 2016
- Tuesday Nov. 8 – happy voting [@magsnmum]
- Tuesday Nov. 8 – just over the hill in the Castro [@LisaEdelstein]
- What it’s like to host a polling place in your garage (16 years in Noe Valley!) [KQED]
- The day after – Guy protesting election results at 21st and Sanchez just happens to have a Nazi flag lying around and his neighbors weren't having it [@michael_bodley]
- Sad scenes in Noe Valley on Wednesday [@adamflorin]
- More sad scenes in the new reality [@MADdelaRosa]
- Scott Wiener is currently leading the race for State Senate [SF Dept of Elections]
- Homes evacuated on Sanchez St after a cache of ammunition was found in a dumpster [KRON4]